Monday, April 7, 2008

No bye, no aloha

This night of joy follows
Oh, everywhere you go


The Breeders' new album Mountain Battles is going on sale tomorrow. You can see a video of the release party here, held at one of Dayton's fine VFW halls. It's worth visiting if only to hear the new album. I mean all of it, forty minutes played throughout the video, no other soundtrack.

The best part of the video is the first thirty seconds: Kim puts on the record and the back of the speaker comes apart. It just can't handle how awesome the Breeders are. I mean, there's a reason Cannonball is my ringtone. No no, Kim, it's okay. Leave the speaker alone. Don't worry about it. Let the sound out.

Summer of 2000, the year I met K at the Arts Fest. The sound man was housesitting in Yellow Springs, so one night we out there and had a party. Jeremy and I started a fire in the backyard by tearing pages out of the phonebook for kindling. Everyone was getting impatient, so to reassure them he said he used to be a cub scout and I said I was a junior pyro. Someone started Last Splash and I paid no attention until I heard the bass at the start of track two, because that's when the album really starts and you damn well know it. New Year is a fine song but it doesn't deserve track one, oh no. Then I wondered if my '85 Tempo was going to make it home since the alternator belt broke on route 68 getting out there. Helluva night.

And do the Deals look like that from growing old or the heroin? I just want to know which one's safe for me to keep doing.

No comments: