Monday, July 21, 2008

I thought about her the entire drive home, more eager with each mile

Past the church and the steeple, the laundry on the hill
The billboards and the buildings, memories of it still
Keep calling and calling


All coffee is not created equal. Some varieties blow others away, they haunt you in the night when you can't reach them. I drank enough Dancing Goats coffee on Saturday to put a coma patient on its feet. Hey, if you had an udder full of that stuff you'd be dancing, too.

Two years since I moved away and all it took to make me feel at home was seeing a few familiar faces when I didn't expect them. I sat in front of Strawberry Fields for an hour and saw the same people I used to, employees and customers both. It was the same around town, people I knew on sight just as I had left them like shop-window mannequins. The bicyclist who had cancer. The cooks and busboys at Ihop. Champaign was like the bedroom of some abducted child whose parents won't move anything in the room in case their baby comes home. A little dusty, but essentially as I had left it. Steve told me the best story I've heard in a long time, and I'm totally going to steal it for something.

It's been proven, mathematically, that CU has the hottest women anywhere. The background hum of above-average beauty is punctuated by women that make you hear "Back in black" when they walk by. Sit downtown for any length of time and your palms will grow hair from thinking about the women on the streets or in the cafes. That's the afternoon traffic; wait until nightfall and the bar crowd hits Neil Street. You might as well call the ambulance at sunset. Earlier, if the university's in session.

The drive up to CU felt like twenty minutes instead of three hours, but the drive home seemed to last forever in all the right ways. The Divinyls and Poison on the rockbox, and Joe Cocker as I pulled up to the apartment. K wanted to tell me about the giraffes mating at the zoo. I cut her off before I got a description of the giraffe's erection; I just couldn't deal with it then. It was too much for one day, too much to stay awake through, too much to live through. I'm not sure I did.

No comments: